If you are self hosting a WordPress blog, it is always a good idea to disable directory browsing to secure assets of the blog. Intruders generally go through the directories like assets, images and try to steal the information that we gathered/created spending many hours of our hard work.
Here are the steps to disable directory browsing
1. Connect to the FTP server of your blog using FTP clients like FileZilla
2. Open the .htaccess located on the root folder of your blog file for editing (how to view .htaccess files using FileZilla)
3. Append the following line of code to the .htaccess file
Options All -Indexes
4. Save the modified .htaccess file back to FTP server
5. That’s all. Your WordPress blog directory browsing is disabled now.
If anyone try to browse folders of the blog, they will get a 404 error.