I have a WPF based application which was working fine on my “Windows 7” laptop till last night.Today when i tried to launch ,it just hanged and becomes non responsive .There is no information regarding any exception or error, except an “Application hang” event in the event Viewer.
After a whole day of failed attempts, i found out the cause for the problem and a simple solution (it just took me a minute) to resolve it
The problem is due to corrupt “Windows Presentation Font Cache 3.0.0”. This happens mostly due to abrupt shutdown of your system
The solution to the problem is to delete the corrupt font cache and restart the machine.The detailed steps are given below.
- Go to Run and type “services.msc”
- Look for a service name “Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 220.127.116.11” and stop it
- Delete the file “FontCache18.104.22.168.dat”.This file is normally placed under the following file path.
- Windows 7 / Vista – “%windir%\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Local”
- Windows XP – “%systemdrive%\Documents and Settings\LocalService\Local Settings\Application Data”
- Restart the machine.
If the problem continues you can disable the “Windows Presentation Foundation Font Cache 22.214.171.124” service permanently. This will not have any impact to the application behaviour.