RichCopy is a utility that helps you to copy or move files at a greater speed. In 1996, the first version of RichCopy was developed. The main idea was to utilize the network resources in a very minimal way and perform file copy in a better way. The tool when developed was available only for the Microsoft guys and hence none of the public was aware of it. But today, Microsoft has removed the accessibility limitations for this tool and has made it available as public downloadable software.
RichCopy was completely designed and developed by Ken Tamaru, a Microsoft fellow. Unlike other copy mechanism, the RichCopy tool is capable of copying multiple files simultaneously. RichCopy performs the copy operation eight times faster than XCOPY command. Also it is faster than the most popular RoboCopy tool. RichCopy has the most powerful features to copy the files which none of the other copy utilities have.
The following are the features available in RichCopy Utility
- The latest version, RichCopy 4.0, is more performant than any other copy tool
- There is an option for the user to save the desired settings with a profile name and choose any profile for copy process. This helps the user to maintain the state for different copy process and multiple instances of RichCopy can be used with different settings. This would allow us to complete the copy process in a minimal time.
- The latest version of the utility, RichCopy 4.0, allows us to choose multiple source locations. This enables us to copy files from different locations to the same destination in a single copy process.
- The number of thread that can be spanned off is configurable. There can be more 256 threads running using RichCopy, provided we have a high end machine which allows us to have as many threads as required.
- RichCopy 4.0 is capable of filtering the files based on the date time and based on the filter result,the files can either be copied to the destination folder or we can opt to leave it as it is.
- In addition to the GUI, the tool supports command line usage too. This would really help all the business users to invoke this tool internally and perform the copy process with no tension.
- RichCopy can be used against various storage devices without any problem.
- The suspend and resume feature in RichCopy is absolutely useful. When the network is down, we can peacefully suspend the copy operation and resume it back after sometime. This reduces the pain of copying the files again from the beginning.
RichCopy is a very useful tool for everyone irrespective of domestic or business requirements. The tool completely suffices the need of those people who are involved in blob migration. The tool when used in a low bandwidth network would show us high performing results.Try out and check if this tool is useful for you.